Keyboard Shortcuts and Hotkeys

Due to popular demand, we've added a huge number of keyboard shortcuts and hotkeys to Trog. You should be able to do all of your Trogging without ever touching the mouse. To use the new hotkeys you will have to turn on beta features in Trog. (See http://www.priacta.com/Support/Trog_FAQ.shtml#TrogBeta for more information on how this works.) If we don't get any major bug reports with this, we'll move it to the stable feature set.

Here is a list of the new hotkeys, where to use them and what they do:
Anywhere in Windows
Win+1Go to Trog
Win+ZGo to Trog's scratchpad
In Trog, but not in any control
AJump to the appointment list
TJump to the task list
SJump to the search field
CJump to the calendar
FChange the filter/list
EscHide Trog and/or return to your previous application
In a specific control in Trog
Alt+AJump to the appointment list
Alt+TJump to the task list
Alt+SJump to the search field
Alt+CJump to the calendar
Alt+FChange the filter/list
EscJump to Trog, with no control focused.
In the task list
XToggle between complete, and incomplete
S, Shift+SCycle the start date forward or backwards
D, Shift+DCycle the due date forward or backwards
R, Shift+RCycle the reminder date forward or backwards
!Enable or disable the reminder
1Cycle the priority
CSelect categories
ASelect contacts
TJump to the task title (or "subject") field
NJump to the task notes (or "body") field
EnterOpen the task in Outlook
SpaceShow Trog's information popout if not already visible
Ctl+SSave any changes
Ctl+ZUndo all changes
Up, DownMove to the previous/next task in the list
In addition, the following hotkeys were already available, and can be used without enabling beta features:
In the task list or appointment list
Ctl+CCopy the selected task(s)/appointment(s)
Ctl+XCut the selected task(s)/appointment(s)
Ctl+VPaste new task(s)/appointment(s)
Ctl+ASelect all tasks/appointments
DeleteDelete the selected task(s)/appointment(s)
Up, DownSelect the previous/next task/appointment in the list
If we're missing any major hotkeys here let us know.

Comments

• When you say "In the Task List" (heading for where the shortcut applies) you do mean that, right, not "in the task fly-out window"?

I'd like to see a couple more:

- Cycle ALL dates as a group fwd (should work inside fly-out window as well)
    - Pop Out/Select last/prev/next-opened task (works from outside/inside Trog Bar, needed when you open a task in Outlook and you need to return to see it in Trog Bar, or when you edit a task erroneously and need to re-see it; maybe it just works on tasks actually clicked in in the popout, not just tasks that fly out on hover select since many can get selected accidentally that way)

• Ok, this part of the list is a bit unclear to me:

AJump to the appointment list
    TJump to the task list
    SJump to the search field
    CJump to the calendar
    FChange the filter/list
    EscHide Trog and/or return to your previous application
    In a specific control in Trog
    Alt+AJump to the appointment list
    Alt+TJump to the task list
    Alt+SJump to the search field
    Alt+CJump to the calendar
    Alt+FChange the filter/list
    EscJump to Trog, with no control focused.
    Are you saying that the bottom half of the list applies "Anywhere in Trog Bar" and not just when you are in a control?
  • No, the list is accurate. If you are “In Trog, but not in any control” then the top list applies. If you are “In a specific control in Trog” the bottom list applies. Notice that escape does something different in each list. Here is an example of a series of keystrokes, and the result at each step:

Behavior when keystrokes are entered in this order:
    Win+Tab - Trog appears, Trog is focused, but nothing else
    Esc – The Trog Bar hides and focus returns to the previous window (Assuming that you have autohide enabled.)
    Win+Tab - Trog appears, Trog is focused, but nothing else
    S – Search is focused
    T – The letter ‘T’ is placed in the search field
    Esc – Trog is focused again, search is not (notice, that escape didn’t hide Trog, since a control was focused)
    T – The task window is focused
    S – The start date for the selected task is incremented
    Alt+S – Search is focused
    Esc – Trog is focused, not search or the task list (notice, that escape didn’t hide Trog, since a control was focused, the NEXT escape will hide it)
    Esc – The Trog Bar hides and focus returns to the previous window (Assuming that you have autohide enabled.)
  • 1) Win+Tab does not work on my Win XP system. It cycles between the apps already appearing on the task bar (default Windows behavior, I suspect).

2) For consistency of use, and to avoid confusion for some of us, I'd like to see the Alt+letter hotkeys apply both inside and outside controls, like this:

A, Alt+AJump to the appointment list
    T, Alt+TJump to the task list
    S, Alt+SJump to the search field
    C, Alt+CJump to the calendar
    F, Alt+CChange the filter/list
    This makes the Alt+Letter behavior 100% predicatble. It's just not always clear to me when I'm in a control and when I'm not.
  • I agree about needing a hotkey to reopen the last task or email. Because the task window is small now (can't resize yet) you can’t preview some emails readily and have to click, open in Outlook, review, then go back and find that same email/action item again to decide what to do with it. It’s just extra steps. (A hotkey to open the last opened email or task in Trog would really help in this regard. I notice that Trog "knows" which one was opened last, since it opens if I click on a category header instead of a task/email in the task list.)

- [M]
  • This was one of the early ideas, but it got tossed out. I'll see if we can get it in there. This needs to be a global hotkey, right?
  • Is there a way to change or disable some of the hotkeys ?
    I use Win+Z for some other program http://odierno.com/domercury/
  • Yes and no. It is possible at a technical level (if you feel comfortable with regedit and hex.) At a user interface level, this is not yet possible. This is in fact the only reason that this feature is still beta controlled. We're working on this and will deliver the solution as soon as we have it. In the mean time, if you tell me what keys you would like to change this to, I can tell you exactly how to customize this by hand.