What's the best way for an Outlook user to keep work and personal tasks and calendars separate?

I don't want my personal stuff to appear on my work computer because I want to keep my personal business, well, personal. I have a personal laptop, a work desktop, and a windows slate tablet that I hope to use to bridge both worlds. I can configure Outlook on the tablet to access my work account, and would like to use it in place of a paper notebook. It's small enough to fit in my purse, and the handwriting recognition is fantastic. What are the best tools, set up and approach to use in this situation? I've purchased online training, and I'm in the process of setting up all of the work related stuff on the work computer, but I don't want to let the personal stuff to lag.

Comments

• Elaine,

You can have separate email accounts for work and personal, just remember that this means you have another collection point (personal email) to process on your personal time.

Using the tablet + handwriting recognition is excellent for a notebook as long as the table powers on to the handwriting page quickly (5 seconds or less).

Caution: Using two different tools for personal tasks and work tasks might be difficult to manage. Better is usually to keep it all in one task list and use Major Contexts to divide out life areas as TRO Training shows you.

Sounds like Outlook works for you as a work task manager/email/calendar. If work uses Exchange server, consider keeping work tasks in a Tasks folder in your Exchange Mailbox folder (.OST file) and your personal tasks in a separate Tasks folder on your hard drive only (.PST file). Drawback: personal tasks will only be available on one computer.

Or you could use a personal app like GetItDone or Toodledo on the tablet for your personal tasks  and Outlook for work, but see the caution above.