Using GQueues for GTD and TRO (Total, Relaxed Organization)

Total, Relaxed Organization (TRO) is GTD-principle-based productivity that's more effective and easier to use. TRO also merges best practices from Covey and other time management systems for a balanced approach.

Here is how to create a complete TRO workflow with GQueues.

Overall:
GQueues is a flexible browser-based application with Android and online mobile versions. You can create a great TRO system with GQueues.

Pros:
  1. Has "Smart Queues" or saved searches based on category, date, and tags.
Cons:
  1. Not team TRO capable because tags go through to other users and pollute their tag lists.
Setting Up TRO with GQueues
Train using TRO with GQueues by following these guidelines:
  1. In the TRO Online Training System, select "Other task manager" to see detailed instructions and options for all TRO-capable task managers. (As you work through the training, you will choose the specific methods we're about to explain here.)
  2. View http://www.gqueues.com/help/videoTutorials and the link contents to become familiar with using GQueues.
  3. Remember (or print) this list of jargon terms, which will help you use GQueues with TRO:
    • Hard Date = Due Date
    • Unprocessed = a Smart Queue named "Unprocessed."
    • Soft Dates = Queues created under MyQueues.
    • Major/Minor Contexts = Tags
  4. Move Smart Queues on TOP of MyQueues.
    • Click the arrow besides Smart Queues, then select Add Smart Queue.
    • Set the following: Name: Unprocessed; Type: General, Include Tasks from: my entire account, with or without dates; and without tags.
    • Click Save.
    • Drag and Drop this ON TOP of the Smart Queues list.
    • Delete Overdue.
    • Delete Due in a Week.
    • Delete Due Today.
  5. Set up your Soft Dates
    • Under My Queues, delete Work.
    • Rename Home (Category) to Soft Dates.
    • Rename Queues under Home as This Week and Next Week.
    • Create Queues by clicking the arrow button besides Soft Dates; then naming these as This MonthNext Month, and Someday Maybe.
    • Create a Queue named DO TODAY and move this on top of the other Queues.
  6. Set up your Hotlist
    • Set the following: Name: Hotlist; Type: General, Include Tasks from: my entire accountwith dates, from the beginning of Time; to the end of 1 week from now ;and with or without tags.
    • Click Save.
    • Drag and Drop this Below the Unprocessed Queue.
  7. Set up your Weekly Review List
    • Set the following: Name: Weekly Review; Type: General, Include Tasks from: my entire accountwithout dates, and with or without tags.
    • Click Save.
    • Place this below the Hotlist Smart Queue.
  8. Under Smart Queues, rename All Items TO All Tasks, then drag and drop this to the bottom of the Smart Queue list.
  9. Click, drag, and move Tags UNDER My Queues

Summary of this Setup
  1. Queues created under My Queues are your Soft dates.
  2. Tags listed at the left side are your Context Views.
  3. Hard Date is the Due Date.
  4. Hotlist is a Smart Queue named Hotlist.
  5. Unprocessed List is a Smart Queue named Unprocessed.
  6. Do Today List is a My Queue named DO TODAY.
  7. Task leaves the Inbox AND Unprocessed list when a soft date/tag is assigned.
  8. During a Daily Review, Check Hotlist, then check This Week.  Move task to DO TODAY soft date if doing today.
Let us know how it's working for you, either here or inside the TRO Online Training (discussion at the bottom of each training page).