SpeedFiler

edited December 1969 in TRO General Discussion
The TRO online training suggested using SpeedFiler to manage emails in Outlook.  I loved it during the 30-day trial period, but am a little nervous about purchasing it.

The product and its website haven't been updated since 2007, and the last post on the developer's blog was in 2008.  Does anyone know if SpeedFiler is still actively supported/developed?

If SpeedFiler is actually dead, does anyone know of any similar email-filing Outlook plugins?

Thanks.

Comments

• I'm still using SpeedFiler heavily, but we may be searching soon for a replacement for the reasons you mention. We'll update the TRO Online Training and this forum if we decide to change our recommendation.

In the meantime, please let us know what you find.
  • I found a plugin called SimplyFile by a company called TechHit.  It appears to completely duplicate SpeedFiler's functionality, with a few handy extras.  I've been evaluating it since yesterday, and like it so far.  The newest version was released Nov. 2009, so TechHit appears to be keeping it up-to-date.

TechHit also makes several more nifty-sounding applications that claim to help with attachments, etc.  I don't have the money to pay for all of them, so I've only tried SimplyFile.

I'll let you know if I end up buying it . . . or not buying it.
  • Be sure to test it with Trog Bar. I think we looked at an early version of SimplyFile and it wasn't working well alongside other tools like Trog.
  • I'm 15 days into the SimplyFile trial.  So far, it's performing well.  I've had to restart Outlook a few times when the plugin would just stop working, but I had to do that with SpeedFiler nearly every day, so it's actually an improvement.

I haven't noticed any issues with Trog Bar yet.  Is there something specific I should be looking for?
  • Hey, if you search for a good tool to manage your Outlook then I think I have one for you: Lookeen
    I tested the 14 days free trial a few months ago and it convinced me totally! The search speed is amazing!
    Very nice is also the analytics function, good if you wanna keep a survey of your inboy activity!
    Test it and you will see that I didn't promise too much! :)
  • jmus,

Lookeen provides full search capabilities in Outlook, but not quick filing. It essentially duplicates the value of a Gmail-style search in Outlook. However, Outlook 2010 has a much improved search function, making Lookeen less valuable.

As always, use whatever tools you are excited about--because you are more likely to use them.

The real purpose and value of Speedfiler or Simplyfile is that they help you sort email into groups, so that if you need to see all of one kind of email, you can see it together.