Outlook is a workhorse—the Clydesdale of task lists. Unfortunately, like a horse, you have to harness it properly or it will never pull a full load. Figuring out what to do with all of Outlook’s options and features can be daunting. Fortunately, you don’t need to know a lot to get in control.
This section steps you through your initial Outlook setup for better productivity. You will make custom views and filters for your task list and email. You’ll define categories in your Master Category List. We’ll help you setup an automatic list of today’s tasks. Finally, you’ll make a few adjustments to help you handle your tasks. Additional adjustments will be introduced in later lessons as needed.
All together, these changes will make Outlook a safe and reliable home for your tasks.
For non-techies, this may look like the hardest part of TRO training, but it’s really not that bad. Don’t stop now. Once Outlook is set up, everything gets easier and you can start reaping the time-saving benefits.
We Can Help
If you aren’t tech savvy, if you feel intimidated by these instructions, or if you have a special situation, you have plenty of options:
- Visit our support forum at priacta.com/forum to post questions or find answers. Look for the General Technical Support section.
- Call a Priacta coach, who will review your TRO system as they help you with setup.
- Ask your favorite geek to help you out.
Do the following now to start setting up Outlook:
- Set up your custom views now, or decide to do it later as you move through the training
- Set the default reminder time.
Turn Off “Outlook Today”
You don’t want your default view in Outlook to be Outlook Today. This tries to distract you by telling you that your email is the work you need to do today. Your email is not today’s work. Process your email and work from your calendar and task list.
- In the Folders view on the left, right-click the topmost folder where your email Inbox appears (Mailbox)
- Click the bottom option (Data File Properties for Mailbox-Your Name).
- Click the Home Page tab.
- Uncheck the box that says, Show home page…