Choose a Mobile Do Today Method
Match Your Desktop Solution
Use mobile options that match your desktop TRO approach. You will sync your tasks, so you must use the same fields and methods in both places.
Your mobile Do Today list must show the same tasks as your regular Do Today list. Use the same or similar method if available on your handheld:
Daily Review Required
Your Do Today tasks only appear here after you do your daily review.
- Automatic. (Optional, preferred.) Tasks get moved automatically to the Do Today list when the hard date arrives. This depends on the capabilities of your task list and which field you use for your hard date. However, you will still validate this list quickly in your daily review. Example:
- Due Date. Many lists automatically show you “due or overdue” tasks in their own list. This becomes your Do Today list. (You will need to use the Due Date as the hard date.)
- Manual. (Always required.) You need to be able to add a Do Today task instantly, processed or not, even if your list moves items automatically to the Do Today list. Do this by setting the Do Today indicator. Examples:
- High Priority. You set the Priority field to High. (Your Do Today list is the list of High Priority tasks.)
- Star. You “star” the task. (The Starred list is your Do Today list.)
- Due Date. You set the Due Date to today. (The “due or overdue” list is your Do Today list. See also the Due Date automatic option above.)
- Combination. (Required if there is no automatic option.) You get an automatic reminder or list, but you use this to flag items as Do Today. Examples:
- Reminder Date and Alarm. You set the Reminder Date as the hard date, and you set the Reminder Alarm. The alarm tells you to flag the task as Do Today. (Many mobile apps ignore reminders for tasks, so carefully check app capabilities first.)
- Hotlist. The task list supports a TRO hotlist of some kind. In your daily review, you scan this list and manually flag the right tasks as Do Today.
- Tasks in today’s calendar. If all else fails, you can put today’s tasks in the calendar (see note at bottom of link) and sync that.
You want your Do Today view to be easy to access, without defining the search each time.
Experiment with your handheld until you know how to set up and use your mobile Do Today list.